Select Page

How do I stop drinking

You may be asking yourself how do I stop drinking, how to stop drinking alcohol every night, or how to stop being drunk? Are you past struggling to control your drinking? Are you fed up of the endless cycle of repeatedly quitting and going back to Day 1? You’re not alone.

Willpower has a 79% chance of failure (average abstinence rate of 21% after a year in 17 studies reviewed by Moyer and Finney (2002) ), and Hester and Miller (2003) found that peer-based 12-step alcohol treatment programs do not have a higher success rate than no treatment at all.

If you are fed up of being fed up of quitting drinking alcohol and you want professional help to know how you can stop drinking alcohol and transform your life, you can find help at the Addiction Help Agency to permanently quit today.

Utilizing Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) which has helped millions successfully quit drinking, Mark Holmes, trained CBT Therapist, YouTube’s Alcohol Quit Guru, wrote the bestselling book, Holmes’s Complete Guide To Stop Drinking Alcohol; The Easy, Mindful and Pain-free Way available here, precisely for people like you in your exact same situation. If they can quit easily and painlessly, why can’t you?

What is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?

Dr. Steven M. Melemis M.D., former Medical Inspector for the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, writing in the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine (88) explains:

“Cognitive therapy is one of the main tools for changing people’s negative thinking and developing healthy coping skills [,]. The effectiveness of cognitive therapy in relapse prevention has been confirmed in numerous studies [].”

“This is a short list of the types of negative thinking that are obstacles to recovery and are topics for cognitive therapy []: 1) My problem is because of other people; 2) I don’t think I can handle life without using; 3) Maybe I can just use occasionally; 4) Life won’t be fun — I won’t be fun — without using; 5) I’m worried I will turn into someone I don’t like; 6) I can’t make all the necessary changes; I can’t change my friends; 7) I don’t want to abandon my family; 8) Recovery is too much work; 9) My cravings will be overwhelming; I won’t be able to resist them; 10) If I stop, I’ll only start up again; I have never finished anything; 11) No one has to know if I relapse; and 12) I’m worried I have been so damaged by my addiction that I won’t be able to recover.”

 Think about what it would be like to have no urges or cravings for alcohol. To wake up every day fully rested after a good night’s sleep. Free from the stress of perpetual morning hangovers and having to face work and family feeling terrible each day.

The good news is:

  • You can learn how do I stop drinking

  • You can stop drinking alcohol every night

  • You don’t have to be drunk

I know that may sound hard, or even impossible, to you right now. My name is Mark Holmes. I was a high functioning alcoholic for three decades, you can read my bio in the sidebar opposite, and  I would never have believed I could be happy sober. Anyone can be miserable sober and quit for a day, a week, a month or a year(s) but I honestly believed it was impossible for me to ever be happy sober.

The stereotype that alcoholics are unemployed, homeless and living in street doorways is wrong. In fact, it is more likely for those who are highly paid and well-educated than those without a high school diploma to say they drink, according to Gallup:

PRINCETON, N.J. — Upper-income and highly educated Americans are more likely than other Americans to say they drink alcohol. Whereas eight in 10 adults in these socio-economic status groups say they drink, only about half of lower-income Americans and those with a high school diploma or less say they drink.”

I have been where you are now. I couldn’t imagine twenty-four hours without drinking alcohol, never mind a weekend or holiday without alcohol. Alcohol was my best friend, my raison d’être, my reward and relief in life. I blog about my reasons for quitting here and you can find my  Crazy Sobriety Vlog on YouTube here. I have been there, bought the mug, bought the T-shirt and I know every excuse you’ve told yourself because I’ve told them all to myself for over three decades until I worked out how to quit permanently using CBT and wrote a book about it.

There comes a point when “enough is enough” and it’s time to grab the bull by the horns, take back the control from alcohol, and commit to the positive action you need to deal with your addiction, like I did finally, after failing to quit time and time again any other way.

So what help can we offer?

One-to-one Therapy

If you are suffering from anxiety, depression or addiction, low-self-esteem or relationship issues, Cogntive Behavioral Therapy has proven to be an effective treatment. A single 45 minute session is £50 but clients usually choose a block of ten sessions for £400. The first 30-minute session is free to see if we are a good team and how I could help you get better.

To find out more click here.

Holmes's Complete Guide To Stop Drinking Alcohol

A 375 – page book with over 300+ academic references which gives you the facts about drinking alcohol so you can make your own mind up about whether quitting is right for you. Utilizing cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), which is tried and tested and has helped millions quit alcohol permanently, and mindfulness, it shows you how to stop drinking alcohol easily, mindfully and painlessly without willpower, a higher power or sufffering any urges or cravings.

Read more


Live 1:1 Online Complete CBT Cessation Course is the Rolls-Royce of online Alcohol Addiction CBT treatment. It is not coaching. It is a twelve-week structured therapeutical programme giving you the best tried and tested tools and techniques based on the latest scientific research to support permanent pain-free alcohol cessation. This scientific research states, “the main tools of relapse prevention are cognitive therapy and mind-body relaxation, which change negative thinking and develop healthy coping skills.”

Read more

Crazy Sobriety Vlog

The Crazy Sobriety Vlog is a YouTube Channel offering advice and tips on how to control or stop drinking (Do I drink too much?, How to control drinking alcohol, How to stop drinking urges, Why did I start drinking again after I quit?, How do I know if I’m an alcoholic?)

Read more

Be Happy Now - Twitter, Facebook, Instagram

“Be Happy Sober” is the single goal of our inclusive and interactive social media because anyone can be miserable sober. Using Holmes’s method, unlike the AA, we don’t believe in ‘Counting days’ and constantly returning back to “Day 1”. Once you quit, you quit, and if you don’t quit, that’s fine too, but no ‘counting time’ like prison.

Follow Be Happy Sober on Twitter here.
Join Be Happy Sober Private Facebook Group here.
Follow Be Happy Sober on Instagram here.


The Top 10 Ways To Stop Drinking Directory 2022

If you want to find out the Top 10 Blogs, Top 10 Podcasts, Top 10 Quit Lit Books, Top 10 Apps, we have done all the research so you don’t have to, ranked them independently using Semrush data and giving you the links to save you hours of searching. You can buy The Top 10 Ways to Stop Drinking Directory 2022 for only $1.99 on Amazon Kindle here, or join our Stop Drinking Directory Aweber Mailing List ran by Aweber, with your name and address, to get it FREE (epub)! Find out more here.


We sell a range of unique Aha-branded sober gifts and apparel to celebrate your sobriety including Hats, T-shirts, Hoodies and Mugs / Waterbottles.

See more here.

About Us

Mark Holmes MA is CEO and Founder of the Addiction Help Agency Ltd., to help others achieve permanent sobriety painlessly without using willpower and without cravings.

Holmes is a former School Counsellor, and qualified teacher, and high functioning alcoholic for over thirty years who spent years researching how to stop drinking which led to training as a CBT Therapist and culminated in writing his unique CBT and mindfulness method of alcohol cessation in "Holmes's Complete Guide To Stop Drinking Alcohol; The Easy, Mindful and Pain-free Way" available online and from all good retailers.

Holmes has a Master's degree from UCL, and is a registered CBT Therapist at NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals, and abides by their professional standards and ethics.

Holmes offers one-to-one online counselling HERE internationally.

Twitter News

Share This