Top Ten Tips for Sober October 2021
London, England, October 1, 2021
- Identify internal triggers: Feelings, Thoughts and Emotions, that cause you to drink.
- Identify external triggers: (The AA call it, “People, Places and Things”) that cause you to drink.
- Use a journal to reflect on Internal/External triggers & plan strategies to cope with them.
- Use S.O.B.E.R.: S – Stop: pause whatever you are doing. O – Observe: what is happening in your heart, mind and body? B – Breathe: focus on your breathing to stay present. E – Expand awareness: to your environment. R – Respond: mindfully rather than automatically.
- Use Urge Surfing to ride the ‘surf’ of an urge like a wave until it dissolves on the beach.
- Structure your day: Don’t skip breakfast and eat a little every three to four hours to avoid hunger pains which can be mistaken for alcohol urges.
- Carry a water bottle everywhere and drink at least 1.5 litres a day so you’re never thirsty.
- Let your family, friends and work colleagues know for ongoing moral support.
- Read a “Quit-Lit” book like Annie Grace’s “The Naked Mind”, Simon Chapple’s “The Sober Survival Guide”, or Mark Holmes’s “Holmes’s Complete Guide To Stop Drinking Alcohol”, (below).
- Plan an end-of-month reward as an incentive and celebrate your sober success!
The Addiction Help Agency (Aha), www.addictionhelp.agency, have just published, 1st September 2021, their guide to quit drinking with over 300+ alcohol facts in readiness for Sober October 2021, “Holmes’s Complete Guide To Stop Drinking Alcohol; The Easy, Mindful and Pain-free Way” for the Price of a Pint ($5.99 E-book) on Amazon.com (here).
– END –
NOTES TO THE EDITORS
For information or questions, please contact:
YouTube’s Alcohol Quit Guru